1999 by Ernest Lilley

First Contact
Letter from the Editor / Newsbits /
Contact! Adventures in Fandom - Lunacon '99

Contents  Contact  Focus   Bookshelf   Media Columns

ern.jpg (10976 bytes)

Click here to join our mailing list!
Subscribe! Show your   support & find out when new issues go online - 
  SFRevu's contents may be reused with the following conditions: 1) credit SFRevu@aol.com and list our URL: http://members.aol.com/SFRevu 2) contents may not be changed without the permission of the Editor

rocket.gif (13182 bytes) Letter from the Editor  - New site, new format, new commitment, same mission.

I like Science Fiction. I like it in all its myriad forms, from books to movies to games. The goal for SFRevu is to present SF as one inclusive universe - full of diverse and exciting stars...but all tied together by a desire to explore the excitement of the future.

Welcome to the first issue of SFRevu at our very own URL - www.sfrevu.com. This issue has so much new about it that it feels like a first issue…and it is, in a sense.

The format is new - it's got more links and sidebars, lists of books that tie in to movies and it's broken up into sections to speed load times. It's given the zine a fresh look that I really like - I'm looking forward to your comments on it.

A few months ago at Boskone I met Elizabeth Stone, a friend of Fantasy author Katya Reimann and a technical writer. Elizabeth has since paid the price of making suggestions, as she has signed on as Production Editor wielding her grammar hammer and taking a valiant stand for quality.

Plunking down the fee for URL registration represents my commitment to make something of SFRevu. I started the zine about three years ago as a place to post a few of my reviews while I looked for the next zine to write for, the Sci-Fi Talk radio program I was with having gone off the air. SFRevu now has a regular staff of reviewers and columnists and I've gotten addicted to seeing our name on the back of book covers and going to movie screenings. It's time to get serious.

The SF Site (www.sfsite.com) has been very supportive, offering us webspace and sharing their collected wisdom in the business of putting out a webzine. We look forward to continuing this association as both sites develop. Special thanks are due SF Site editor John O'Neill for his encouragement.

This issue's focus section features Hugo winner Vernor Vinge. We have a fascinating interview to go with two reviews, one of his newest book A Deepness In The Sky, and the other a Retro-Review of an earlier collection - True Names And Other Dangers.

Larry Niven has come out with Rainbow Mars, reprising the adventures of his hapless time traveler, Svetz, and adding to the canon of Martian Literature. Terry Pratchett amuses us with more tales from his Discworld saga, this time from The Last Continent, which looks more than a bit like the land down under. Paul Giguere gives us a review of the multiple realities in John Barnes' new parallel universe adventure - Finity, and EJ indulges herself in Highlander: White Silence. The zine of the month is Rosebud, a fine little literary mag that devoted its winter issue to Science Fiction. I really liked it, and hope everyone takes a look at it.

There is a flurry of movie activity as the world braces itself for the Star Wars impact next month and we take a look at The Matrix, which I think is simply fantastic, and Wing Commander, which I found to be surprisingly strong. Read the reviews to see if you want to argue either point with me. Steven Sawicki's Video Column is a bit grumpy this month, but he promises that he really did try to find something to like. Some months are like that. Incidentally, Steve's column has been getting some good reviews and I agree, "B" movies deserve Sawicki.

Linda Zimmermann's Weird Science Column takes a look at the shocks that flesh is heir to with an amusing piece on high voltage snake oil. Next month we're expecting to add more columns, including a report on the SF Art field. I'd like find someone to focus on collectible SF as well, so if you fancy yourself an expert or know one…drop me a line.

Ernest Lilley - Publisher/Editor SFRevu
SFReviewer@aol.com

top.gif (1909 bytes)

Lunacon '99

lunie.jpg (16638 bytes)

"Little Loony" logo  1999 by the New York Science Fiction Society - the Lunarians, Inc.

Vernor Vinge
Writer Guest of Honor

Bob Eggelton

Artist Guest of Honor
Anthony R. Lewis
Fan Guest of

Honor

March 5th - 7th, 1999 The Rye Town Hilton, Rye Brook, New York.

Visit the Lunacon '99 Web Page.

lunaprog.jpg (19196 bytes)
Lunacon Program cover 1999 Bob Eggleton

Lunacon Photos 1999 Ernest Lilley

Contact! Adventures in Fandom: Lunacon '99

We came, we saw, we Conquered. Ok, maybe we just partied. Lunacon '99 gave us another excuse to throw a bash and meet a lot of great SF pros and fans. If you were at Lunacon last month, I hope you came to our URL party...it was just down the hall from that other one. Scheduling a party opposite TOR is a bit like being up against ER on Thursday night, but we had a great crowd regardless as you can tell from these pics.Our thanks go to The New York Science Fiction Society - the Lunarians, for their help.

(Click on the images below for higher res versions. Feel free to reuse images as long as credit is given and our link included www.sfrevu.com)

p0003197.jpg
SFRevu Party Wagon
p0003198.jpg
Shane Tourtellotte
p0003200.jpg
Dan Kimmel,
Movie Critic at large
p0003205.jpg
Hal Clement
p0003208.jpg
Jim Frenkel and
Chris Dao (TOR)
p0003211.jpg
Bob Eggleton,
Tom Doherty,
Vernor Vinge

p0003212.jpg
A book you can sink your teeth into? TOR's innovative edible books.
p0003213.jpg
Future Masters of Fandom Rich and Ruth Tyler

p0003216.jpg
Dr. Michio Kaku picked up an Asimov Award and caught the next superstring back to town.
p0003224.jpg
Randy Asplund with some awesome art.

p0003235.jpg
Beauty beholds beauty. Laura Nastasia and her sister's (Michaela) artwork.

p0003265.jpgSawicki imagines how popular he's going to be as a Nebula judge.

p0003242.jpg
Feeelthy Hucksters!

p0003255.jpg
The GOH by
Claudia Carlson

p0003258.jpg
The Escher Hilton's famed spatial fold.

p0003262.jpg
Sweets abound at the Con Suite
p0003240.jpg
Esther Friesner,
Queen of Rodentia
p0003267.jpg
I liked the shirt.
OK?
p0003268.jpg
Charles & Jane
Amber  Pellegrino
p0003337.jpg
Got Milk? Got Lemons? Never do this. Never.
p0003300.jpg
Eyal Mozes knows  SF
p0003278a.jpg
SFRevu Party

p0003280.jpg
Wendy aka
"the chick in
the shiny pants"
p0003284.jpg
SFRevu Party...
fun for the whole  family.
p0003301.jpg
SFRevu Party...
fun for the whole  fetish family.
p0003285.jpg
SFRevu Revelers

p0003340.jpg
Michael Walsh
with  Lensman Reprints
p0003289.jpg
We screened many trailers ...The Matrix won
p0003293.jpg
"Got Milk?"

p0003307.jpg
The Evil Claudia
Carlson and Abo SF Ed. Charlie Ryan @ SFRevu's bash
p0003308.jpg
The TOR party

p0003270.jpg
Vernor Vinge
and the new book
p0003314.jpg
That Nebula Judge thing starts to pay off for Steve.
p0003315.jpg
Randy and Ian
wishing they were Nebula judges too.
p0003317.jpg
Wombat trying to figure out how to kidnap the GOH for Albacon

top.gif (1909 bytes)